Government of Tokelau
Vacancy – Fisheries Officer – Fisheries Access Manager (closes 13 March 2017)
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the position of Fisheries Officer – Fisheries Access Manager. This new position will be directly responsible for administering the systems and processes that support both the Purse Seine and Long-line Vessel Day Schemes. The Vessel Day Schemes, established under the Palau Arrangement, are the management regimes that are used to manage fisheries access to the Tokelau Exclusive Economic Zone.
The Fisheries Officer – Fisheries Access Manager will report to the Fisheries Director of the Tokelau Fisheries Management Agency (FMA). The FMA is a newly formed agency responsible for the delivery of fisheries services to enable the sustainable management and development of Tokelau’s offshore fisheries.
Detailed Terms of Reference for the position are available on request in both Tokelauan and English.
Applicants should have the following skills and experience:
- Understand and appreciate the Tokelau constitutional and cultural context, and have appropriate knowledge and experience of the Vessel Day Schemes and Parties to the Nauru Agreement Fisheries Management Information System to carry out the role effectively;
- Be able to communicate effectively in the Tokelau cultural context to support the Fisheries Director, when required, at General Fono and/or Council, and to communicate effectively with the three Taupulega (village councils)
- Understand and respect the culture and Constitution of Tokelau. Candidates will preferably be fluent in Tokelauan for both oral and written communications, or show willingness to learn;
- Be able to develop and maintain effective working relationships with regional fisheries agencies and other Pacific Island Country fisheries officials;
- Have relevant qualifications with a particular focus on science, economics law, or other related qualifications and experience, and at least 3 years’ experience in this area.
This is a contract position for five years and will be based initially in New Zealand and later in Fakaofo, Tokelau.
Interested candidates should send their application with a covering letter clearly stating strengths and suitability for the role, attaching an up to date curriculum vitae and providing recent references from three professional referees with their contact details. Applications should be sent to the address below no later than 10am on Monday, 13 March 2017. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the Terms of Reference. Late applications will not be considered.
P.O. Box 2526
c/- Tokelau Office
Wellington, NEW ZEALAND
Tel: (+644) 819 4639; mobile 021 754104