The custom-designed ship is an LCT (“Landing Craft, Tanks”: it has a roll-on/roll off ramp) and is currently under construction in Berjaya Dockyard in Miri, Malaysia. She will boost the supply route to Tokelau and possibly neighbouring Pacific Island Countries as well.
When delivered in January 2018, the new cargo ship will be operated and managed by Transtok. The Minister of Transport is now inviting you to be a part of Tokelau history, by partaking in a contest to name the newest addition to Tokelau’s fleet.
The name should capture, in 8 letters, the ship’s role as being the first LCT of Tokelau Transport. Entrants can be as creative as possible in their suggestions. When thinking of a name you should consider Tokelau and its unique features, culture, links to the marine environment, and technology.
The winning name will be picked by a panel of judges, with final approval given by the Transtok Board. The panel comprises the Village General Managers (GMs) and the Director of Transport and Support Services (TSS). Each village GM must collate and act as focal point of collection of entrants from their respective island. Entries from outside Tokelau can be sent to the TSS Director.
The name must contain no more than 8 letters.
Terms and conditions
The contest closes on 20th September 2017.
One winner will receive NZ$1,000 (one thousand New Zealand dollars).
The winning name will be announced
prior to the ship’s launch in October 2017.
- Number of entries: Only one entry per person is allowed, to be received by 20th Sept 2017.
- Entry restrictions: An entrant of the contest must be an individual and not a company or organisation. Directors, employees of Transtok are not eligible to enter.
- Entrant rights: All entries become the property of Transtok and will not be returned to the entrant. To be eligible for the prize, your entry must be entirely original and only created by you.
- Judging: Only one entry judged by the panel to be the most suitable and creative will win the prize. The decision by the panel is final and binding on each person who enters the contest. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Winner notification: The successful applicant will be notified, via the email address through which the entry is submitted.