The recently released New Zealand Greenhouse Gas Inventory 1990-2021 report finds that in 2021, emissions from the Tokelau sector contributed 0.005 per cent (3.78 kt CO2-e) of New Zealand’s gross GHG emissions.
“The largest source category is Domestic navigation, which contributed 69.0 per cent (1.38 kt CO2-e) of all energy emissions and 36.6 per cent of gross emissions from Tokelau,” said Paula Faiva, Director, Ministry of Climate, Oceans and Resilience.
Carbon dioxide dominated emissions from Tokelau, contributing 53.6 per cent (2.03 kt CO2-e) of its total emissions in 2021. At 1.99 kt CO2, the Energy sector contributed 98.1 per cent of total CO2 emissions, mostly from Domestic navigation, with the remaining 1.9 per cent (0.04 kt CO2-e) coming from Open burning of waste in the Waste sector.
Methane emissions contributed 39.1 per cent (1.48 kt CO2-e) to the total emissions from Tokelau. The Agriculture sector contributed 55.8 per cent of CH4 emissions (0.82 kt CO2-e), which mostly came from Manure management. A significant portion of CH4 emissions, 43.8 per cent (0.65 kt CO2-e), came from the Waste sector, largely from Solid waste disposal. The Energy sector contributed the remaining 0.4 per cent of CH4 emissions (0.01 kt CO2-e), which mostly came from Domestic navigation.
Nitrous oxide emissions contributed 1.2 per cent (0.05 kt CO2-e) to the total emissions from Tokelau. The Medical applications category in the Industrial Processes and Product Use (IPPU) sector contributed the largest amount of N2O, 47.9 per cent (0.02 kt CO2-e) of the total N2O. The Energy sector contributed a further 27.3 per cent (0.01 kt CO2-e), which was largely from Domestic navigation. The Waste sector contributed the remaining 24.7 per cent of N2O (0.01 kt CO2-e) from Open burning.
Emissions of fluorinated gases from Tokelau consisted of HFC emissions only, contributing 6.2 per cent (0.23 kt CO2-e) to the total emissions from Tokelau. These emissions largely resulted from the use of Air conditioning. Emissions of PFCs, nitrogen trifluoride and sulphur hexafluoride are not occurring in Tokelau.
“Like its predecessors in 2019 and 2020, these are invaluable findings. We thank New Zealand for continuing to support us gathering the baseline data we need to ensure our Long-Term Low Emissions Development strategies (LT-LEDs) are in line with international efforts to decarbonise the global economy,” said the Ulu o Tokelau, Kelihiano Kalolo, who is also the Minister for Climate Change.
Contact Paula Faiva, Director, Ministry of Climate, Oceans and Resilience. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office phone: +685 - 20822 / 20823 Mobile: +685 - 775 8820