The Finance Director is responsible in ensuring that all Tokelau financial operations and services are effectively managed.
Financial systems, accountabilities and reporting are continuously being improved to ensure financial management is
appropriate, transparent and reporting is timely to all stakeholders.
Therefore, we invite applications from suitably qualified and experienced applicants to the position of Finance Director. The
position requires a person who understands financial management in the context of a small developing island state, and has
the ability to communicate both in Tokelauan and English.
The Finance Director will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities.
- Manage the day to day operations of the Department of Finance
- Provide and maintain effective and efficient accounting services
- Provide sound financial advice to the General Fono, Council, villages Taupulega and government departments
- Monitor expenditure and ensure they are within appropriation and authorised
- Oversee the operations of the Tokelau Savings Bank and the Tokelau Superannuation Scheme
- Communicate effectively with MFAT and other external agencies on relevant funding issues.
Applications will be assessed according to the following experience and skills.
- Proven experience in a senior management role for a period of at least 10 years;
- Recognised accounting qualification with proven experience in financial accounting and reporting;
- Sound judgment;
- Awareness of Tokelauan culture, customs and protocols;
- Strategic thinking and ability to lead and motivate a professional team;
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability and confidence to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with local leaders and the wider community;
- Preferably fluent both in Tokelauan and English, both orally and in writing; and
- Membership of a professional accounting body.
The Director is currently based in Apia and frequent visits to Tokelau are required. Developments may, in future, require a
transfer of base to Tokelau with frequent travel to Apia and New Zealand being required. The successful applicant will be
contracted on a three years term. Salary will be negotiated in accordance with the TPS remuneration framework.
If interested, please submit the following: i) an application letter detailing a self-assessment against the experiences and skills
required for the position; ii) updated CV; and iii) three recently written references from professional referees with their valid
contact details. Applications are to be received no later than Friday, 24August 2018. For further information, please contact
Kele Lui – HR Manager on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of the Tokelau Public Service Commission
Attn: Human Resource Manager
P.O. Box 3298
Mobile Ph: (+685) 777 4941