The National Disaster Management Officer (“NDMO”) is a full-time position based in Tokelau. The NDMO is stationed within the Disaster Management Unit (“DMU”) and is an arm of the Ministry of Climate, Oceans and Resilience (“MiCORe”).
Summary of main key tasks and responsibilities for the NDMO position:
The successful candidate should meet the following requirements:
- To assist with the management and coordination of the National Disaster Programme.
- To implement the agreed National Disaster Programme.
- To identify and provide appropriate technical assistance to local technical officers, village disaster committees, community sectors and the wider society including the government departments.
- To steer the Disaster Risk Management (“DRM”) programme including the ‘Tokelau Disaster Risk Reduction, Response, and Resilience’ Plan (“TDR4”).
- To ensure the TDR4 and the nuku DR4 aligns and updated with the latest information.
- To enhance and strengthen partnerships with the three nukus as well as departments on disaster issues and information.
- To provide support and administration in knowledge building and the management through the implementation of the programmes activities.
- To provide effective advocacy and awareness of Disaster Management and related issues.
Educational qualifications and experience requirements:
- Excellent organizational, negotiation, interpersonal skills and high standard written and oral communication skills in Tokelauan and English
- Good leadership skills and ability to prioritise workload to achieve in tight deadlines and work in a team environment and know how to motivate and respect individuals within.
- Awareness of the Tokelau culture and ability to operate effectively in a culturally sensitive environment.
- Ability to work independently and a very good team player who maintains and respects accountability.
- Effectively communicate and engage with different community groups.
- Ability to work with minimal resources and work in crisis and hostile environments.
- Awareness of the Tokelau culture with the ability to operate effectively within the cultural context without compromising the remit of the position.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications from a recognized institution in the fields of disaster management or environment management, climate change, social science or similar.
- Proven experience in a secondary level management for more than one year.
- Proven high standard of written and oral communication in English and Tokelauan (highly desirable).
This is a three (3) years contractual position and will be based in Tokelau. Salary will be in accordance with the Tokelau Public Service Remuneration Framework.
Interested candidates, please submit the following: i) application letter; ii) updated CV; and iii) written references from 3 professional referees. Submit your application by email to the address below no later than 22 May 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
HR Manager, National
Office for the Ongoing Government of Tokelau
Tokelau Apia Liaison Office
; Mobile: (685) 770 4511