Applications are invited for the position of Principal, Matauala School, Atafu, Tokelau.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- PROFESSIONAL LEADERSHIP To professionally model and lead the school in learning; provide leadership to the staff and students and model, maintain and enhance the professional standards
- MANAGEMENT To ensure effective and efficient school management systems are in place for the successful operation of the school. This includes daily operations; staffing; staff performance and development; supervision of property and resources and finance and administration
- GOVERNANCE To ensure Education Committee has quality information upon which to make good decisions
- COMMUNITY RELATIONS To promote a warm, open and welcoming environment for staff, pupils, parents and community.
- PROFESSIONAL APPRAISAL The principal consistently meets the professional standards for assessing satisfactory performance
The Taupulega Atafu, the Education Committee, staff and students of Matauala School, along with their village community require in their principal someone who is an enthusiastic, committed, forward thinking professional leader who will lead their school with integrity and by example.
The following personal attributes and skills are required of the principal of the school:
- A passion and commitment to ensure that the best quality education is delivered to students.
- Models and leads by example the expected professional standards of a leader
- Faithful to serve as per the expectations of the role consistently, and in a responsive manner
- High expectations of success and the ability to give effect to these expectations.
- Has the interest and wellbeing of children at the centre of everything the school does.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills which result in well-informed students, staff, and community.
- Able to inspire, motivate and challenge staff to reflect on their practice in a supportive environment where they feel valued.
- Works in a collaborative nature with staff to build a strong team environment which empowers staff in their roles.
- A strategic thinker forward thinker, a learner who can see the ‘big picture’ of a child’s education, and learns about the global developments in education and how they can benefit the school
- Innovative and forward-thinking approach to education which empowers all learners to maximise their potential.
- Adaptable and proven experience in working in remote islands
- A fluent speaker and writer of Tokelau language
- Proven successful experience in a leadership role
- A competent trained teacher with experience in senior leadership and/or experience as a principal
- A sound knowledge and demonstrated successful experience of providing education based on current research and practice
- Ability to support and engage staff in progressive and modern learning practices
- Proven experience of improving student achievement using the best tools and methods available
- Demonstrate an understanding of accelerated learning and working with priority students with high learning needs
- Strong interpersonal skills which include communicating orally and in writing, listening, negotiating, consulting, leading, motivating, counselling, and mediating.
- Knowledge and experience in managing staff including personnel, and performance management.
- Competent in administration including budgeting, delegating, developing systems, computer literacy.
- Demonstrated strong self-management skills including good time management, decision making, and self-control.
- Experience in leading and managing change in proactive and collaborative manner
An appropriate remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
The position will be based in Atafu, Tokelau and requires someone who is familiar with and prepared to live and work in small remote atoll environment. The contract will be for three years with an initial probationary period of six months.
Applications with a covering letter and complete curriculum vitae and evidence of previous employment must be forwarded to the following persons by no later than 22 April 2020
. A complete and detailed position description can also be requested from:
Ms Hana Kalolo Hatesa Kirifi
Human Resource Manager Administration & Finance Manager
Taupulega Office, Atafu Department of Education, Atafu