Improving the quality of education services in Tokelau is a priority for the government and will be the key focus for the
Department of Education. To lead the Department of Education, applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced
applicants to the position of Director of the Department of Education (Director). The Director is accountable for the leadership
and management of the department operations, leads the implementation of Tokelau strategic priorities in the education sector,
advises the Tokelau leadership on education development and ensure effective communication with external partners. The
successful applicant must have at least 10 years of management and leadership experiences in the education sector.
The duties and responsibilities of the position include:
Applicants must have the following required experience and skills:
- Manages and leads the operations of the Department and relationship with local key stakeholders – village Taupulega and other government departments
- Oversees the provision of strategic and planning advices on education development priorities for Tokelau
- Advices key stakeholders on the development and implementation of relevant education policies
- Ensures effective communications with internal and external stakeholders
- Oversees the development, implementation and monitoring of measurable standards of teaching and learning and education delivery
- Leads and coordinates relationship with Tokelau external partners in the education - USP, UNESCO etc
- Manage and coordinate the Tokelau Government Scholarship Scheme
- Minimum of 10 years senior level management experience with strong background and experience in the education sector
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications from a recognized institution in education or/and related field
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the education system with the ability to address challenges in small and isolated islands
- Experience and confidence in establishing and maintaining excellent relationship with multiple partners
- A team player with a high level of self-motivation, integrity and the personal discipline required to work without supervision
- Proven ability to develop and manage services within budget while achieving agreed outcomes
- Awareness of the Tokelau culture and willingness to live in an isolated, island community
The following 2 questions will assist the panel screen and shortlist suitable applicants to proceed to the interview stage. In not
more than 3oo words per question:
1. Identify 3 key challenges for the Tokelau Education system and how you would address them.
2. Identify 3 key Stakeholders in the Tokelau Education system and how you would build & maintain these relationships.
The successful applicant will be contracted for 3 years. Salary will be negotiated in accordance with the Tokelau Public Service
Remuneration Framework. The position will be based in Atafu, Tokelau.
Interested applicants are required to submit the following document to the address below no later than Friday, 10th May 2022; (i)
Application letter including your responses to Screening Questions (1) & (2); (ii) Up to date CV; and (iii) Names and contract
details of 3 professional referees. Please contact the email below for a copy of the job description if required.
Office of the Tokelau Public Service Commission
c/- Human Resources Manager
P.O. Box 3298
Tokelau Apia Liaison Office