The Department of Health provides health care services and is responsible for resourcing promotion, prevention,
preservation, and sustainability of the health of Tokelauan people.
The Director oversees the leadership, management and the effective day to day operations of the department, and
ensure continuous improvement to clinical and public health services across the three islands of Tokelau. Applications are
invited from candidates with relevant qualifications and experiences in the Health Sector. The successful candidate must
have first-hand experience working in an isolated and a small developing island state. Understanding of the Tokelauan
culture and language is crucial.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director is responsible for the undertaking of the following:
- Report on regular basis to the Minister on department expenditures and financial activities.
- Review, develop and monitor goals and objectives of Tokelau National Health Plan.
- Lead the provision of information and advice to fully inform Tokelau’s current health status and urgent matters
- Provide regular health reports and advice to the Government and village Taupulega through the Minister.
- Management and oversight all staff employed by the National Health Department.
- Provide leadership on all aspects of the department functions and core services.
- Develop and maintain close relationship with internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for the overall management of the Patient Referral Scheme
- Undertake relevant activities instructed by the General Fono or Minister.
Applications will be assessed according to the following personal skills, qualification and must demonstrate proven
- Proven experience of at least 5 years in a senior management role.
- Recognized qualification (Degree- preferably at postgraduate level) in relevant field- Health Administration Clinical)
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of health issues and challenges face by small and isolated countries.
- Previous experience with health policy and administration with the ability to provide advice at political level
- Highly developed planning and organizational skills
- Ability and confidence to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Strategic thickener and ability to lead and motivate and engage, influence and empower employees
- Strong financial and business management skills
- Proven high standard of written and oral communication in English (Tokelauan desirable)
- Awareness of Tokelauan culture with the ability to operate effectively within that cultural context without compromising the remit of the role.
This is a fixed-term position of 3 years. The position will be based in Nukunonu, Tokelau. Annual salary will be in
accordance with the Tokelau Salary Framework plus a supplementary component to be negotiated with the successful
If interested and suitably qualified, please submit the following: i) application letter detailing a self-assessment against the
experiences and skills required for the position; ii) updated CV; and iii) written references specifically for this position from
3 professional referees including their current email addresses. Applications must be received by 4.00pm, Friday, 03 rd Feb
2023. Late applications will not be considered. For further information, please contact email below.
Office of the Tokelau Public Service Commission
Attention: Human Resource Manager, National
P.O. Box 3298
Tokelau Apia Liaison Office
Mobile: (685) 770 4511