The Office of the Council for the Ongoing Government of Tokelau (OCOG-Tokelau) is responsible for the provision, management
and coordination of policy advice to the government on internal matters, and those on external relations especially with the
Government of New Zealand and Samoa. Other key services of the government, Legal services, Planning and Monitoring, Statistics
and Elections, IT, NGOs are under the umbrella of OCOG.
For the effective and successful undertaking of the above stated OCOG roles and functions, applications are therefore invited from
suitably qualified and experience candidates to the General Manager, National (GMN) position.
Duties and Responsibilities
The GMN will perform these four (4) key functions:
- Principal Advisor to the General Fono, the Council and the Ulu.
- Oversee the effective and efficient performance of national services.
- Coordinate national services ensuring strategic goal aligns with operation perspectives
- Lead and manage Tokelau relations with NZ and other countries and regional and international organisations.
Applications will be assessed according to the following personal skills and qualities and must demonstrate proven
- Tertiary qualification from a recognised institution in the fields of management or international relations or finance or equivalent qualification
- Proven experience in public service management for a period of at least 10 years
- Must be able to demonstrate ability as a strategic thinker, able to align strategy with management and operations.
- Cultural understanding of Tokelau and life experiences in a developing small country.
- Communication skills – highly developed interpersonal and representational skills and a proven high standard of written and oral communication skills in Tokelauan and English
- Understanding of development needs of Tokelau regarding good governance practice for self-government
- Management and supervisory skills – a proven understanding of how to manage, administer and supervise the day-to-day activities of an office and train staff
- Leadership skills – ability to motivate and provide leadership across government departments and villages with a focus of a cohesive, coordinated and comprehensive National Public Service
- Initiative – the ability to be a self-starter and to initiate appropriate actions
- Analytical skills – ability to objectively appraise complex issues and systems and formulate sound, sensitive and clear policy advice
- Cooperative – willing and ability to cooperate with the three villages
- Energetic, determination, resourcefulness, versatility and resilience.
This is a fixed-term position of 3 years, and is expected to locate where the Ulu o Tokelau is located on a rotational basis.
Annual salary will be in accordance with the Tokelau Salary Framework plus a supplementary component to be negotiated
with and the successful candidate.
If interested and meet the required attributes, please submit the following: i) application letter detailing a self-assessment
against the experiences and skills required for the position; ii) updated CV; and iii) written references specifically for this
position from 3 professional referees including their current email addresses. Applications must be received by 4.00pm,
Friday, 10 December 2021. Late applications will not be considered. For further information, please contact email below.
Office of the Tokelau Public Service Commission
Attention: Human Resource Manager, National
P.O. Box 3298
Tokelau Apia Liaison Office
; Mobile: (685) 770 4511